Conference Day Two: Friday, 27 July 2018
8:00 am - 9:00 am Coffee and Registration
9:00 am - 9:10 am Opening Remarks from ChairpersonKirrilly Pavett - Head of Operational Excellence Pacific Zone Schneider Electric
9:10 am - 9:50 am Big Data, Analytics, Robotic Process Automation and Artificial Intelligence To Enhance Operational ExcellenceDr. Khwaja Moinuddin - Continuous Improvement Lead and CoE Head, Petroleum Development Oman, Owned by Shell
This session discusses how Khwaja is combining continuous improvement with data analytics, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and
Artificial Intelligence to deliver over $350 million in savings. He will draw on his experience at Shell and Petroleum Development Oman in the transformation of their maintenance projects, optimizing equipment and reliability, production improvements and employee improvements
across the value chain from extraction to refined product and all the back office processes that they touch. Understand what data analytics can
do for you and how to best deploy robotics for Operational Excellence.
• Delivering the right technology to the right processes and how to match them for efficiency, productivity and cost savings
• Identifying the breakages and inconsistences and how much they are costing you, through advanced analytics
• Understand specific examples of how Khwaja improved operational excellence at Shell and PDO
• Build capability in house for sustainable growth and change
Dr. Khwaja MoinuddinContinuous Improvement Lead and CoE Head,
Petroleum Development Oman, Owned by Shell
9:50 am - 10:30 am COO Panel: Discussing the Strategic Goals and Priorities Of Transformational Operational Excellence And Organisation Wide ImpactsJason Keir - Chief Operating Officer Ochre Health
Phillip Haddad - Chief Operating Officer Booktopia
Ben Ward - Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President Queensland Building and Construction Commission
Louise Higgins - Chief Operation Financial Officer Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Operational Excellence must be aligned with strategic goals to be truly successful. This involves not only setting goals, targets and priorities, but also means communicating the vision to employees and ensuring there is a customer benefit. This panel discusses the COO perspective of strategy and how they are transforming their organisations to create effective and sustainable operational excellence.
- Facilitating a transformational culture shift in leadership that filters down and empowers employees all the way at the front line
- Discovering the goals, targets and priorities that operational excellence should be achieving by aligning with strategyincluding KPI’s around customer centricity, employee experience, digital transformation, productivity and ROI
- Discussing the future of Operational Excellence including trends in the workplace, business model changes and how OPEX changes in slower economies
Jason KeirChief Operating Officer
Phillip HaddadChief Operating Officer
Ben WardChief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President
Queensland Building and Construction Commission
Louise HigginsChief Operation Financial Officer
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
10:30 am - 11:00 am Morning Tea
11:00 am - 11:40 am Case Study: Sydney Trains On Track To Delivering World Class Operational Excellence Through TransformationTony Eid - Executive Director, Future Network Operations Sydney Trains
In this session Tony will discuss the transformation project that Sydney Trains is due to unveil and roll out in September 2018. Tony will discuss how he took a failing project to a project that will be delivered on time and on budget through operational excellence strategy. Tony discusses some of the major lessons learned surrounding process mapping, workforce engineering, implementing the latest technology correctly, benchmarking and the hardest challenge to overcome, people and leadership management!
- Building capability for business transformation by encouraging a workforce to change its mindset and buy into operational excellence, while cultivating leaders and change management champions!
- Delivering cross functional teams to implement dynamic timetabling, track work timetabling, customer management and all the intricate parts of moving 1.3 million people every day
- Lessons learned along the way and future focus on the opportunities and challenges, as well as how they may overcome them
Tony EidExecutive Director, Future Network Operations
11:40 am - 12:20 pm Case Study: Towards Operational Excellence: Cochlear’s Lean Implementation Journey Over The Last 12 YearsRod Lopez - Head of Manufacturing Cochlear
Cochlear has undergone a transformation journey to implement lean (and everything that goes with it) over the last 12 years, with Rod leading the manufacturing operations. The company’s manufacturing operations have evolved extensively since 2006 through periods of accelerated revenue growth (from AU$205 million to AU$1.2 billion) and increased global complexity with local and international acquisitions and escalating product and market segment proliferation.
In this session, Rod discusses the end to end transformation he has led based on his experience in the automotive sector. Rod also discusses the extraordinary mindset and culture shift his team has experienced and the approach to continuous improvement which has resulted in multimillion dollar savings in production costs while building scale, flexibility and enabling significant growth in volumes.
- Understand the transformation journey in Cochlear’s manufacturing operations
- Assess the cultural change that must be embedded within the organisation to achieve and sustain continuous improvement over the long term
- Learn from Rod’s wide range of experience as a practitioner and faculty at various MBA Schools and examine how this can be used in your organisation
Rod LopezHead of Manufacturing
12:20 pm - 1:00 pm Creating the base for a New Continuous Improvement Model at Phillip Morris InternationalJorge Tovar - Continuous Improvement Regional Manager of Latin America General Electric- Mexico
This session looks at the new model of Continuous Improvement that improves not only the methods and tools understanding, but the mindset, systems and overall transformation. Jorge will discuss his very own methodology and how it can be used in many industries such as manufacturing & services with different complex situations by drawing on his experience of implementation at Phillip Morris International and other companies like GE, Microsoft and Schneider Electric.
- Understand how to apply the Continuous Improvement Cube using Deming Cycle (PDCA) as a management system instead of a tool
- Exploring Jorge’s journey in Operational Excellence and Continuous Improvement, including lessons learned and best practice
- Understanding how cultural transformation, mindset shift and empowerment of all employees are capable of achieve significant continuous improvement gains
Jorge TovarContinuous Improvement Regional Manager of Latin America
General Electric- Mexico
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Lunch
STREAM ONE: CULTURE2:00 pm - 2:40 pm Case Study: Developing a Culture of Business Excellence at Dexus Warren Evans - Head of Business Excellence Dexus
Dexus has been on a journey of change, shifting from a traditional property landlord to a leading Australian innovator.
This session takes you on that journey, describing the business need and the structure and enablers that underpin the process.
Learn about the cultural shift required to take Dexus to a place of continuous improvement, and how the business overcame the challenges faced on the way.
The Business Excellence function has been a catalyst to organisational change and continues to drives value through delivering results, building capability in our people and embedding new ways of working.
Warren EvansHead of Business Excellence
STREAM ONE: CULTURE2:40 pm - 3:20 pm Case Study: Transforming Culture And Creating Leaders To Drive Top Line Growth Through Cultivating A Customer Centred Mindset Nikki Alberts - Executive Manager of Implementation and Change nbn co
Operational Excellence must be focused on the customer to make a successful impact. This session examines how to create top line growth through cultivating a customer centred mindset. This involves not only understanding your customer, but what they value and what they need improved in Operational Excellence.
- Monitoring your customer: What do they want? Identify trends and patterns through real time data and feedback to be able to create a long term strategy
- Aligning your employees understanding of the customer and the realistic picture to determine which processes to optimise and prioritise
- Understand why culture is the most important issue to tackle when attempting to transform
Nikki AlbertsExecutive Manager of Implementation and Change
STREAM TWO: PROCESS2:00 pm - 2:40 pm Case Study: Driving Transformation through Lean, Innovation and Personal Productivity in Schneider Electric’s Front Office Kirrilly Pavett - Head of Operational Excellence Pacific Zone Schneider Electric
In this session, Kirrilly exemplifies how she is transforming Schneider Electric’s front office to be operationally excellent, using techniques she has been refining over the last 3 years in the organisation. This includes introducing transformational change through Lean, Innovation and Personal Productivity. Leveraging the customer journey mapping to ensure their processes are always based around the customers’ need, and coupling technology enhancements to improving operational excellence. She will also discuss the importance of culture and mindset to help her employees take the leap of faith!
- Ensuring fit with technology and process- how do you make sure the technology will enhance rather than hinder efficiency?
- Changing culture in the front office to create a mindset of innovation and continuous improvement
- Impacting the employee and customer experience positively and consistently with process excellence
STREAM TWO: PROCESS2:40 pm - 3:20 pm Case Study: Building An Operational Excellence Strategy With The Customer First For Increased Effectiveness Anna Szabo - Head of Business Development Operations and Strategic Projects King & Wood Mallesons
This session discusses end to end process efficiency with the customer and firm-wide strategic alignment always in mind as the primary reason for any improvement. There is no organizational growth when we improve processes that the customer doesn’t value. This involves rethinking the way that we view value, redesigning process and recreating the customer journey. In this session, Anna will discuss how she has spent one year truly understanding her clients’ needs, pain points and wish lists before recommending operational change.
§ Viewing the customer journey (internal and external) through the perspective of the customer
§ Developing the right employee and customer experience through process excellence
§ Lead the culture change in a fast changing product innovation and technology-led environment
§ Aligning operational excellence and strategy to drive value and growth
Anna SzaboHead of Business Development Operations and Strategic Projects
King & Wood Mallesons
STREAM THREE: TRANSFORMATION2:00 pm - 2:40 pm Booktopia’s Journey To A Delivery Based Operating Model For Increased Customer Satisfaction Phillip Haddad - Chief Operating Officer Booktopia
Booktopia is currently undergoing a significant transformation to change their operating model from revolving around getting large volumes of books out to customers, to developing a more customer centric delivery model that focuses on providing customers with choice and convenience, in being able to decide when they want their books delivered. In this session, Phillip discusses the major changes that have had to occur to create this change throught the organization, including the people and technical change to support the transition.
- Examine Booktopia’s operating model change and the journey they have been on to create it
- Determine the technology that Booktopia is introducing to support their changing operating model
- Understand how Operational Excellence is impacted through the transition and how to create a truly efficient model with customers at the heart
Phillip HaddadChief Operating Officer
STREAM THREE: TRANSFORMATION2:40 pm - 3:20 pm Case Study: Examining ANZ’s Leading Approach To Process Excellence And Business Transformation To Enable Change and Success Penelope Barr - Senior Technology Manager ANZ
Penelope was invited into ANZ to assist with how they change & overcome some key challenges in the organisation. These included changing longstanding culture issues, process inefficiency and ongoing frustration with technology in the frontline. In this session, Penelope discusses her approach to process excellence and technology implementation, which is based on customer understanding and end-user validation to ensure goal attainment. This approach resulted in her team delivering exceptional results; including stabilising technology systems & operating model; including newer technologies such as chatbots and augmented reality to solve internal and external customers’ problems.
- Determining the key challenges to overcome at ANZ to transform the organisation
- Highlighting the need for technology implementation that benefits customers
- Drive experiments with exceptional outcomes
Penelope BarrSenior Technology Manager
3:20 pm - 3:50 pm Afternoon Tea
Interactive Discussion Groups How will the IDGs run?
- The entire audience will break up and choose IDGs based on which topics are most relevant and interesting to them.
- Each IDG is set in a roundtable format and will be facilitated by a thought leader in the space
- Each delegate will have the opportunity to select 2 topics and will rotate between their choices every 30 minutes.
Table One3:50 pm - 4:20 pm Employee Buy In And Cultivating Leaders To Change Processes
Table Two3:50 pm - 4:30 pm Transforming Operational Excellence Through IT and Across The Organisation Victor Quiroz - Head of Implementations and Operations MAPFRE Australia
Victor QuirozHead of Implementations and Operations
Table Three3:50 pm - 4:30 pm Sustainable Digital Transformation And Future Technology John Makhoul - Group Head of Process Excellence Fairfax Media
John MakhoulGroup Head of Process Excellence
Table Four3:50 pm - 4:30 pm Basing Operational Excellence on Data and Research
Table Six3:50 pm - 4:30 pm Communicating Vision Nationally and Internationally